Total Pageviews

Friday, September 28, 2012

Missed Opportunities

Cedar Waxwing
I would like to take credit for this awesome photo of a beautiful Cedar Waxwing, but unfortunately I cannot.

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of having a flock of Cedar Waxwings converge on my yard and crowd the birdbath on my deck.  I knew immediately what was happening, as I saw the telltale signs of a waxwing flock.  My cedar tree was filled with birds, and the limbs were moving as if the tree were actually "alive".  I peered out the window onto my deck and saw a half dozen waxwings enjoying my birdbath.

What's wrong with this scenario?  After realizing that I had a wonderful opportunity to capture some great photos, I discovered that both batteries for my Olympus camera were dead!  I couldn't get a single shot off.  By the time I loaded a battery into the charger, and had it sufficiently charged...the Cedar Waxwing flock had moved on.

I advocate that bird watchers should always have a camera handy should that elusive "bird" moment arrive.  I guess I need to remind birders to also make sure you have fully charged batteries in "said" camera.

While I missed what was most likely a "once-in-a-season" opportunity, I have learned a very important lesson.

For more information on this fascinating species, check out Cedar Waxwings at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology website @ Cedar Waxwing.

Belinda's Website





No comments:

Post a Comment