Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Creative Use of Abandoned Nests
















Those poor mother robins...they work so darn hard to create a beautifully crafted nest. Whether they are raided by predators or blown to the ground by Spring storms, I always feel bad when such craftsmanship is tossed aside.

This year I decided to create something special from the nest that I found lying under my spruce tree.  I placed it on a cute twig shelf on my patio and potted it up with a small amount of potting soil and some clippings from a tough and aggressive trailing sedum plant.  It now graces my outdoor living area and provides a unique accent, where it might otherwise be thrown out into the woodlot behind the house.

As a bird lover, I do not advocate going on a search and destroy mission to locate these nests.  If they are securely in place somewhere, please do not disturb them! This particular determined bird has since set about creating a new nest in another location. Mother robin is currently battling the local crows to protect her latest creation. I will continue to cheer her on and help chase the crows away when I can.  Then I will sit back on my deck and enjoy her first effort.

Belinda's Website



No comments:

Post a Comment